How To Make Your Home SAFER For Your Dogs


I just read an article about how to make our homes SAFER for our dogs by Lynnette Walzcak on Dog, the Fun Times Guide.

I’m sure many dog owners have already removed potentially hazardous objects that are within reach of their dogs.  I appreciate the tips in this article because some of them have not crossed my mind.

For example, the type of mulch we use in our yard, where we place the bar-be-que grill, and sticks that our dogs pick u on their walks can pose potential harm to our friends.

Below this photo is an excerpt from the article.  There are quite a few tips.  I’m only including 3 of them here.  Feel free to read about the rest at your leisure.


Here’s an excerpt from the article:

#2  The type of mulch you choose.  Mulch containing theobromine is poisonous to animals. The most common is called  cocoa bean mulch.   Most dogs are attracted by the smell of fresh mulch… some view it as a tasty treat, while others love to dig in mulched areas.

[When you are reading the original article, click on the link that says More About Dogs And Mulch.]

#8  Your grill’s location. It wasn’t until recently when we were outside grilling that I noticed our dog’s long, fluffy tail stands taller than the top of the grill itself. I quickly realized that this could become a problem if he were sniffing around the grill (looking for dropped food pieces or licking random grease splatters) and  his tail brushed along the back of the grill and touched the flames themselves! (Our grill has a grate-type backing to allow air in & out of the grilling area. This area is clearly wide enough for the dog’s tail to pass through.)

#9  Sticks. While they’re fun for fetching, they can also cause a bit of distress in your dog’s intestinal tract, or become deadly thanks to their sharp edges. When I worked at the vet, a good number of the dogs that came in suffering from diarrhea were known stick-chewers. Sticks are usually loaded with dirt & bacteria, and sometimes it just doesn’t agree with your dog’s system. We frequently sent dogs home with a prescription for metronidazole to clear up the problem. Another problem with sticks: they’re sharp and pointy. Entire sticks, or bits & pieces, can get lodged in a dog’s mouth or throat. This can occur during a simple game of fetch, so beware.

CLICK here to read the entire article.

Article source:  Dog the Fun Times Guide

Image source:  rbennett661 on Flickr


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *